As we say good riddance to 2020, there are several things that emerged and were re-inforced this year that I'm extremely grateful for. So here is my TOP 20 list of 20-20 visions:
1. Empathy was re-energized. I witnessed people doing extraordinary things to help others.
2. Forced Family Fun: College kids retreating home and families spending all their time together….It was a truly special time with my family.
3. We accelerated hygiene. I've never washed my hands as much as I did in 2020. I never realized how often I touch my face as I did in 2020. These are eternally valuable lessons learned. We even washed our groceries.
4. We learned that high tech can be in high touch with ZOOM calls infused with lots of human interaction and things not normally associated with pure tech. ZOOM also taught us how often we interrupt each other!
5. We learned to appreciate the smaller things in life and recognized how very BIG they were. A warm bed, food, internet service, sunshine, all mattered more.
6. We learned the importance of data, facts, and truth. Without them, we are lost. When we ignore them, we all pay the price.
7. We learned that we are all fallible: there is a beginning, middle and end to all lives and seasons. Time is the last luxury.
8. Tech accelerated immediately. Brilliant teams around the world provided us with infrastructure, tools, and systems that allowed us to work almost seamlessly, almost immediately.
9. We learned how to 'fake it'. At times when we just wanted to curl up and cry, we felt responsible to one another to prop one another up and exude confidence, hope, and positive thinking. Stiff upper lip!
10. We were reminded about the importance of making a daily effort to move and be physically active, from Zoom Yoga to a simple brisk walk on the beach.
11. We were reminded about the power and importance of HOME. 2020 reminded us how important our work is, how important our profession is.
12. We were reminded about the power of a moving image: a zoom call, video, etc will always be more relatable than a static image.
13. We re-discovered the power of the VOICE. Speaking to people cannot be replicated by text or email.
14. We re-discovered nature: being locked down during spring dulled the shock as it reminded us that seasons change and COVID-19 - just like a season - will come and go too.
15. We learned about the power of friends, family, and especially parents: those who juggled home-schooling, care, taking care of relatives, etc AND work are true heroes.
16. We were reminded again of the importance of our first responders and healthcare workers: without them, 2020 would have been much worse.
17. We re-discovered the power of reading and learning.
18. We learned that what unites us is so much greater than that which divides us and is now much warier than those who spread hate and division driven by personal agendas.
19. We learned that health is the ultimate wealth. With good health, everything and anything is possible. I vow to remind myself of this every day.
20. We learned that anyone who can survive 2020 intact is to be commended. So many have suffered throughout this year from COVID-related issues, but let's not forget those who have suffered from so many other issues related to health, addiction, family, poverty issues, homelessness, crime, etc. While our ails were tough indeed, let's keep things in perspective.